Support / Self Referral

Sections on this page:
Carer’s Support
Domestic Abuse Support
Lifestyle Support
Mental Health Support
Safe Places

Carer’s Support

Are you a Carer? Do you provide unpaid support to a partner, relative, friend or neighbour who couldn’t cope without your help?

Go to our carer’s support page

Domestic Abuse

The NHS website has advice for the public on spotting the signs of domestic abuse and domestic violence and where to go for help.

The NHS also has a help page for those who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

The Home Office is promoting the freephone 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline number 0808 2000 247 and associated online support available at
As part of the campaign, the Home Office has produced detailed advice for those experiencing domestic abuse and domestic violence.

In addition, Respect is an anonymous and confidential helpline for men and women who are harming their partners and families. The helpline also takes calls from partners or ex-partners, friends and relatives who are concerned about perpetrators.

If you are worried that a friend, neighbour or loved one is a victim of domestic abuse then you can call the freephone, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 and further information is on the helpline’s dedicated website.

If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Lifestyle Support

There are a number of services across Derbyshire that accept self referral:

Alcohol Awareness

Mental Health Service

Stop Smoking Service

Weight Loss Programme

Mental Health Support

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) for Derby and Derbyshire Patients.

Emotional Wellbeing  

There are a range of ways in which the NHS can support your emotional health and wellbeing.

You can speak to your GP about how you are feeling. Your GP can help you look after your mental health and wellbeing.

You can also self-refer to local Talking Therapy services (also known as Improving Access to Psychological Therapies – IAPT services) using the contact details below. You will be able to get help to manage issues such as depression, low mood, anxiety, stress or panic.

COVID-19 Update: IAPT services in Derby and Derbyshire are open and accepting referrals.

Services are now offering telephone support or video conferencing in line with government guidelines.

You can read about some positive experiences of people in Derby and Derbyshire who have had telephone and video support from local talking therapy services here

Your local IAPT services

All four Derby and Derbyshire IAPT providers as below are accepting new referrals:   

Name of IAPT ServicePhone numberWeblink
Trent PTSTel: 01332 265 659Click to view
Vita MindsTel: 0333 0153 496Click to view
Insight HealthcareTel: 0300 555 5582Click to view
Talking Mental Health Derbyshire  Click to view

Your local IAPT services explained 

  • What do IAPT services offer? 

One in four people will experience depression or anxiety at some point of their lives. Help is available for people whose daily lives are affected.

IAPT services are psychological therapy services tailored to people’s needs and include talking therapies, group approaches, couples therapy and self-help support for people who experience anxiety and depression.  

  • Will I have to pay for IAPT Talking Therapies? 

No. IAPT services are free for people to access. Derby and Derbyshire CCG provides the funding for people to access this support. 

  • How do I choose an IAPT provider that’s right for me? 

There are currently four IAPT providers in Derbyshire accepting new referrals. People who are registered with a Derbyshire GP practice can choose from any of these services.

Referrals will be accepted from people aged over 18 years old, although people aged between 16 and 18 will be accepted if they are assessed as benefiting from the service.

All providers offer the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommended therapies and approaches for common mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.

You might choose the provider closest to your home, workplace or family. Alternatively, you may choose the service with the shortest waiting times, the widest choice of types of treatment or the highest recovery or reliable improvement scores. 

  • What are recovery and reliable improvement scores? 

All patients who access the service are asked to complete at least two brief questionnaires at every session. The results of the questionnaires not only let you know if you are improving but also help rate the quality of services patients are receiving.

The target is that at least 50%of people using the service achieve full recovery according to the results of the questionnaires. We call these the “recovery scores”. If the recovery score is 50% or over then this means that more than half of the patients they see fully recover so a high percentage score is very good.

Another way of rating the quality of the service is the reliable improvement score which is the percentage of people who experience a significant improvement in their symptoms.  The target for reliable improvement is 65%. If the reliable improvement rate is 65% or over then it means that more than 65% of patients experience a significant improvement in their symptoms. 

  • How long will I have to wait? 

Waiting times vary. This can be for a number of reasons including waiting longer…

  • …for the different types of therapy that the services offer
  • …if you want to be seen on a particular day or time
  • …if there is a particular location where you wish to be seen.

The target is that all patients should be seen for a first appointment –‘an assessment appointment’ – within 6 weeks of the provider receiving your referral. This is counted from the day you contacted the service or the day the service received the GP referral.

The assessment appointment is where the therapist decides with you if you need to be seen for more sessions – called treatment sessions.

In some services you may need to wait again for a number of weeks until an appointment becomes available for treatment to take place. In others there is only a minimal waiting time between the initial assessment session and when treatment starts. They will also be able to estimate the waiting time between your first and second appointment. 

  • How do I access a local IAPT service? 

There are two ways to be referred:

  1. Self-referral: where you access the service directly – usually by telephone, referral pack (with information about the service which may have been given to you by your GP) or online
  2. GP referral: where your GP refers you to the service following a consultation

If the referral is not accepted, you and your GP will be informed, or you may be referred to an alternative, more appropriate service.

If your referral is accepted, the provider will contact you to arrange an initial assessment. 

  • Where can I get more urgent help? 

A new Mental health support line has been set up by Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust for people of all ages in Derbyshire who may be experiencing increased mental health needs during the COVID -19 pandemic, see here for further details or telephone Freephone 0800 028 0077 between 9am and midnight (7 days per week). 

The Mental health support line can also be used in the event of a crisis, where you will be directed to the most appropriate specialist support. Further information about support in a crisis is available here.

  • What help is there available for children, young people, parents and carers?

Information on help for children, young people, parents and carers is available here.

Safe Places

As we emerge out of lockdown it is even more important we have Safe Places where people can go if they feel scared, lost, unwell or anxious. Knowing where Safe Places are is a comfort to many people and instils them with confidence when they venture out and about.

Derbyshire Safe Place Scheme. Keep safe with safe places

For many people who suffer with anxiety, stress or depression a trip outside the home can be a harrowing experience. The onset of Covid-19 has exacerbated this and more people are fearful of going out.

The Safe Place Scheme is part of our Hate Crime / Keeping Safe project. It is supported by MacIntyre, Derbyshire Police, Trading Standards and the Derbyshire Learning Disability Partnership Board.

Safe Places are public buildings in towns and communities across Derbyshire, such as libraries, GP surgeries, pharmacies and shops. They have stickers in their windows so people can see that they are part of the scheme and know they can go in and ask for help if they need to.

The staff working in a safe place know how to help people with learning disabilities, dementia or other difficulties that make them vulnerable.

All Safe Places are detailed on the Derbyshire County Council Safe Places web page.

For further information please see the Safe Places leaflet