Get a Sick/Fit note

Self-certification – 7 days or less

If you are off work for 7 days or less, you do not need to give your employer a fit note or other proof of sickness from a healthcare professional.

Your employer may ask you to confirm your sickness by completing a self-certification form (SC2).

Sick/Fit notes – more than 7 days

If you need a fit note, contact the healthcare professional treating you. This should be a doctor, nurse, occupational therapist, pharmacist or physiotherapist.

Your healthcare professional will assess you, and if they decide your health affects your fitness for work, they can issue a fit note and advise either that:

  • you are “not fit for work”
  • you “may be fit for work taking into account the following advice”

Your healthcare professional will choose the “may be fit for work” option if they think that you are able to do some work, even if it is not your usual job, with support from your employer.

Discuss this advice with your employer to see if you can return to work. For example, the healthcare professional treating you may suggest possible changes, such as:

  • returning to work gradually, for example, by starting part time
  • temporarily working different hours
  • performing different duties or tasks
  • having other support to do your job. For example, if you have back pain, avoiding heavy lifting

If your employer is unable to accommodate the changes advised by a healthcare professional, then the fit note is treated as though it said “unfit for work”.

The doctor will need to see/speak to you when requesting the initial Sick/Fit Note for your illness. Please contact reception who will be able to advise whether a telephone or face to face appointment is best.

Additional Fit/Sick notes

If you have already had a Sick/Fit note for an illness, the healthcare professional may not need to see you to issue an additional Sick/Fit note. You are able to request these either by contacting reception or completing an online consultation